Poison Ivy Paste
Remedy the itching, burning and pain of poison ivy and poison oak.
Guess what? I don’t get poison ivy. I’ve been told that’s actually because I’m not allergic, but I’m still not going to go roll around in it to test that theory. However, most of my friends and family have had it and do get it. And I can tell from the rashes that it must be such an irritating painfully itchy burn!!
If you plan on going out into nature this summer, or for some of you your back yard, poison ivy is probably something you are on the look out for. But I know, those bugger plants hide themselves and before you know it you are scratching your shins like a maniac wondering what’s wrong – until it dawns on you… UGH I must have brushed up against some poison ivy!!
Poison Ivy can take anywhere from a few hours up to 10 days to appear. The dreadful rash occurs when urushiol, the toxin in the plant) touches human skin. Usually most people will see or feel it in the form of rashes, blisters, swelling, pain, intense burning sensations, itching, inflammation, red bumps and sometimes a fever. Poison Ivy can appear within a a few hours or it could take up to 10 days! And worst of all this mess can SPREAD especially within the first 3 days of contact.
So now you have it. And your eyes are watering because you don’t want to scratch it and spread it (PLEASE don’t scratch it and spread it, I’ve heard too many horror stories about friends getting it in the wrong places!)
How to remedy Poison Ivy:
First thing to do – literally, stay calm. Getting all upset or excited raises the heartbeat which can make the burn, itchiness and inflammation worse.
2. ditch your clothes (wash them separately), jump in a cold soapy shower – get all potentially affected areas clean.
3. break out the apple cider vinegar. Put on on a rubber glove if you have one, and grab a cotton ball. Put some of the apple cider vinegar on the cotton ball and dab over affected area. Let it sit on there a little while. The vinegar works to pull out as much toxin as it can from your pores. Once finished – rinse again with cold water.
4. Immediately put on your poison ivy paste – and LEAVE IT ON. This stuff is AWESOME. It will dry and get crusty, that’s ok, once it starts to crumble off, you can rinse and reapply. This paste will soothe and attempt to heal. Recipe below.
5. For additional oomph, you could opt to take an oatmeal bath. Grab some loose organic oatmeal and cook it up with a lot of water in a big pot. About a 1/2 lb to 1 lb worth. Strain the water into a cool or room temperature bath and put the oats in an old sock. Get in the tub and use the sock filled with oats to put pressure and dab all over the affected area. Use the bath water to push more of the concentrated oat milky slime over your rash. Throw the sock away when done, and rinse in a cool shower.
6. Avoid sun exposure on affected area. Keep area cool and don’t eat spicy foods while you have it. Oh and no hot showers for you – that can only irritate it. Room temperature showers or cool ones are best.
Earth Remedy Poison Ivy Paste
This recipe is quite easy and you can store in in your fridge for 2-3 weeks (I vote pre-make it and have it ready just in case!) This paste works to soothe, relief itch, heal and pullout the toxins. It works to give you quicker relief and shorten the amount of time you have poison ivy.
What you’ll need (and their substitutions):
- 3 tbs Apple cider vinegar (or distilled white vinegar) use more or less to form into a paste
- 1/4 cup Bentonite clay (can be found and almost any health food type store, it’s pretty common – or online)
- 5-6 drops Peppermint essential oil (the good stuff from DoTerra is best) – Lavender is an alternative, but not as cooling as peppermint. You can add BOTH if you like.
- Bonus – you can add a little (1 tsp) PURE aloe gel, recommended right out of the plant if you can, if not get organic gel.
Take the above ingredients and mix them up. I like to use little 4 oz jelly jars for all of my remedies. Use as much or as little vinegar to get it to a paste-like consistency. It should smell pretty strong of peppermint. I would use a q-tip, wooden tongue depressor or a cotton ball to add the paste to your affected area. Let it sit there and work its magic. As I mentioned before, you can leave it on as long as you like but once it’s too dry and crumbling off, it’s time to reapply. Refrigerate your healing paste for up to 3 weeks. Plus, when it goes on cold, it feels better!
Baking soda, water and essential oil can be an alternative to the above since everybody reacts differently to different remedies. And next time, wear your metal armor into the woods!!
Last time, I forgot to give links to help you find the ingredients I mentioned. Here they are in case you need them.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Trader Joe’s organic – or any organic brand will do. You can find this at any store.
Apple Cidar Vinegar, Organic Raw Unflavored 32oz
Can be found at local health food stores in powder form
Bentonite – 1 lb.