Make Your Own Natural SunScreen!
People! You don’t have to slather on that highly toxic, highly chemical-y gook all over your body when you go outside! Listen, your biggest organ is your SKIN. Your skin absorbs almost everything you put on it, including the chemical-laden sun block you just bought. Your intentions are good, hoping to save your skin from the scorching sun, but in reality, you are bogging down your liver and actually raising your chances for cancer and other diseases by rubbing this poison into your body all summer!
One of the real bad guys in sunscreen is oxybenzone.
According to CNN in 2012 :
The Environmental Working Group says 56% of beach and sport sunscreens contain the chemical oxybenzone. The primary function of oxybenzone is to absorb ultraviolet light, but some research shows oxybenzone can be absorbed through the skin.
The Environmental Working Group and other toxicology experts believe that oxybenzone is linked to hormone disruption and potentially to cell damage that may lead to skin cancer.
This among a myriad of other chemicals like Oxtinoxate and Homosalate can easily be absorbed through the skin causing many problems, especially if you are one of those that are re-applying hourly.
There is a solution! There are actually MANY different essential oil that you can use that have decent SPF to them! You can absorb these oils for their healing properties all day as a bonus!
Wheatgerm oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, raspberry seed oil, avocado oil, macadamia oil and carrot seed oil are all known for their effective SPF factors. Today we are going to make a great homemade sunscreen that you can feel happy about slathering all over your bod!
To make a small jar of Earth Remedy Natural Sunscreen:
- 1/2 cup of 100% pure aloe (preferably organic) – it should be globby, like it came fresh out of the plant.
- 20 drops carrot seed oil OR raspberry seed oil – (raspberry seed oil has a higher SPF if that is what you are looking for)
- 5 tbsp coconut oil – in its thick form (leave on counter to get warm so you can easily stir in) ALTERNATIVE – Wheat Germ oil – gluten free or use gluten free coconut oil
- 3 capsules of Vitamin E oil (break open the capsules) or hemp seed oil (2 tbsp)
- 5 drops of Lavender oil
Aloe Vera Gel aloe vera gel reflects as much as 20 percent of the sun’s harmful UV rays. It is also an amazing medicinal herb. We slather aloe on us daily regardless of going out in the sun. It’s protective, moisturizing, alkaline and your liver loves to absorb it!
Carrot Seed Oil has an SPF between 20 and 40 naturally.
Coconut Oil BLOCKS about 20% of UV rays. Native Pacific Islanders have been using coconut oil for thousands of years! Coconut oil protects the body from sunburn and skin cancer without blocking the beneficial UV radiation. So it actually doesn’t rely on blocking out the sun’s rays, the beauty of this oil works by preventing free-radical reactions which lead to all the consequences caused by overexposure to the sun. So the SPF number of coconut oil doesn’t really mean anything.
Vitamin E is great for the skin – this ingredient can be left out if you choose. We sometimes leave it out.
Lavender Oil has a small SPF, but has a great smell and amazing healing properties (anti-septic, anti-stress, pain relieving). Absorbing this oil can be very good for you.
Stir it all up in bowl and place into a sterile jar! Apply often! Make sure you give it a test run too, everybody’s skin is different! Still be careful if you are spending the whole day in the sun.
TIP! Don’t rub anything into your skin that you wouldn’t eat!!
TIP! No you don’t have to refrigerate it!
BONUS! Those who have switched to raw diets rarely have to ever wear sunscreen, since their diets are so clean! Their bodies can actually process the sun rays properly!
1. Separation: A fan pointed out that this can separate. YES, it can separate it you leave it sit. Solutions: Stir heavily and keep in the fridge and it forms into an oily cream that you can put onto your skin. IF it still separates, stir and flash freeze it for 30 minutes then put in your fridge. This would have congealed better by adding zinc oxide, I opted NOT to add the zinc oxide, as I don’t believe it’s very good for your skin.
2. You can definitely leave it out, just stir it up really good before you put it on! It does not need refrigeration.
3. The aloe I bough was local – at it was thick like it came right out of the plant. This thick gel congeals better than aloe liquid. ———— We could have added zinc powder to this recipe, but we wanted to keep it as natural as possible. The powder would have made this recipe congeal easier. So, just stir it up before you put it on!
4. If you wipe it off, it just might come off! It’s not built like heavy chemically laden creams, so if you wipe it off, reapply
5. Water usage. Everyone is different. I noticed it starting to slowly fall off when I was sitting in a pool, but that was about 15 minutes in. I would assume if you are swimming heavily, or in salt water (salt can scrub it off) that you either reapply or use something different – again, these don’t have the harsh chemicals that make it difficult to come off your skin. However, I have seen people come in and out of pools, reapply and be fine.
6. TEST it on yourself! The average before reapplying has been 45-hour. More sensitive people may want to do it more often than that.
7. Reminder that this is a ALL NATURAL product. No chemicals or junk. Don’t expect it to do everything that a store bought sunscreen will do. The goal was to get it as close as possible, without adding the bad stuff. Most natural products take a little extra work.
**If you have made this sunscreen and if worked well for you, send us your blog link and we will post in on this page for others to read about it! (use the contact us link in top menu).
People have been asking for LINKS so here are some of the kinds we use:
Real Aloe Inc Aloe Vera Gel — 32 fl oz – A thick gel – a smaller version of what you see in the picture.
Aloe life Skin Gel – 8 oz – Liquid – I actually use this daily on my body regardless!
Aloe Farms Aloe Vera Gel Organic, 32-Ounce
Nature’s Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 16 Ounce
Tropical Traditions Green Label Organic Virgin Coconut Oil – 32 oz. glass – GLUTEN FREE
Wheat Germ Oil Cold Pressed 100% Organic Pure 12 Oz Gluten Free and organic
Vitamin E Softgels: (poke hole in softgel)
Nature’s Way Vitamin E 400 IU, 100 Softgels
Carrot Seed Oil:
Mountainrose Herbs – 100% Carrot Seed Oil – (the good stuff, but pricey – you will have to scroll down , click on essential oils starting with C and then add carrot seed oil to your cart).
Carrot Seed Essential Oil 100% Pure 10 Ml 0.34 Fl. Oz. 365 Drops Therapeutic Grade By Nature’s Kiss
Carrot 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil- 10 ml