Holistic Remedies For High Cholesterol
Cholesterol always has a dark shadow hanging around it. You hear, the word, you immediately think negative. However, cholesterol is a certain kind of fat which is actually important for cell membranes and other functions within the body. BUT, high levels of blood cholesterol can mean major health problems are on the horizon. An excess of cholesterol can build up on artery walls therefore restricting blood flow – thus making heart disease and stroke a serious potential risk.
Some common symptoms:
- blood cholesterol of more than 5mmol/L
- Angina or leg pain/heaviness/cramping
- white rings around the eyes
- yellow deposits on the skin or around eyes
- If you are smoking – STOP!
- Cut down excessive alcohol consumption
- If you are overweight, it’s time to hunker down and lose some weight.
- Exercise regularly
- Reduce or even better eliminate saturated fats. These are found in meats, cheeses, butters etc.
- Eat a plant-based nutritional diet.
HERBAL REMEDIES – Suggestions:
- Olive Leaf Extract – 500 milligrams 1-2 times a day
- Hawthorn – take 100 milligrams 3 times a day
- Garlic – Eat lots of fresh garlic or take an organic veg capsule 3-6 times a day
- Psyllium husk – 500 mg 3 times a day in veg capsule form
- Lemongrass, Helichrysum and Clary Sage Essential oils from DoTerra
- Ginger, Ginseng or Green Tea – Daily consumption
- Unsaturated fats – Avocados, nuts and seeds
- Oat bran, potatoes, apples, beans, carrots, artichokes, beets – all great soluble fibers
- Replacing animal meat for vegetable substitutions (ie. a portabella mushroom burger)
- Celery helps cholesterol levels and blood circulation
- Food high in B3, Niacin, are helpful in the elimination of cholesterol build up – avocados, asparagus, corn, peas, potatoes, mushrooms, artichokes and lima beans, sweet potato, kale, broccoli, carrots and green pepper – just make sure you buy organic!
Yoga and acupuncture can also help your circulation, digestion, breathing, etc.
Prevention is the best medicine!
READ: T. Colin Campbell is a pioneer in the field. He has studies showing you can REVERSE heart disease with a plant based diet here are some resources:
A great book by T. Colin Campbell – Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure